If weight loss is your aim, you might assume that snacks are a no-no. But the right snacks can make it easier to manage cravings and stay on track with your weight loss goals.
Not all snacks will do this though so you definitely need to know how to choose the best snacks for weight loss!
Healthy Snacks For Weight Loss
Snacking can be a great way to add more nutrients to your diet, especially fruits and vegetables.
Aim for snacks that combine protein, fibre and healthy fats. They’ll keep you feeling fuller for longer, maintain healthy blood sugar levels and stop you veering off track with unhealthy snacks.
- Mixed nuts (just be mindful of the fat content)
- Greek yoghurt with berries
- Apple slices with peanut butter
- Cottage cheese with fruit
- Celery sticks with cream cheese
- Cucumber slices with hummus
- A couple of squares of dark chocolate with a small handful of almonds
Low-Calorie Snacks For Weight Loss
Low-calorie weight loss snacks don’t have to be boring and it’s not all about rice cakes (unless you love them, of course).
You can also enjoy:
- Popcorn (not the processed type, which can be full of sugar, salt and fat)
- Red pepper with guacamole (go for small tubs of guacamole or make your own if you want to keep the portion size down)
- Greek yoghurt (which is full of protein and a great source of calcium)
- Cheese and pickle
- Watermelon salsa
- Pitta pockets stuffed with chicken, tomato and cucumber
Healthy Sweet Snacks For Weight Loss
Healthy sweet snacks may seem like a complete oxymoron but they go together surprisingly well. The trick is to stay well away from the processed, sugar-laden sweet snacks that may immediately come to mind and swap them for healthier alternatives that are a lot more natural.
With this approach, sweet snacks are still an option when you’re trying to lose weight, especially if you make them from scratch and control the sugar content.
Trying to resist sweet snacks can throw your weight loss goals off track if you can’t avoid the inevitable cravings.
A few ideas to give you that all-important inspiration when it comes to healthy sweet snacks for weight loss:
- Homemade ice cream (with banana as the main ingredient)
- Fruit salad
- Berry yoghurt pots
- Chocolate chia seed pudding
- Healthy banana split
- Oatmeal cookies
- Avocado chocolate mousse
- Chocolate almond bark
- Courgette or sweet potato brownies (not as weird as it sounds, trust us!)
Best Protein Bars for Weight Loss
Protein bars can provide a ton of protein – sometimes more than 15g per bar.
But it can be tough to find a protein bar that tastes good, isn’t full of non-natural ingredients and supports healthy weight loss.
Protein bars that contain ingredients such as nuts, seeds, oats and fruit will also provide fibre and healthy fats, as well as a protein boost.
Some brands that tick these boxes include:
- KIND – Made from plant-based ingredients, including “clean” ingredients and no trans fats.
- RXBAR – With 12g of protein, these bars contain a nice amount of protein and are made from very few ingredients. Egg whites, nuts and dates are the key focus on each bar.
- Trek – With 10g of protein, these bars are made from plant-based ingredients and are also rich in fibre.
- Squirrel Sisters – They’re not the highest in terms of protein content but they’re less than 100 calories. If you’re looking for dieting snacks and aren’t too concerned about the protein content, this is an option that may work well.
But if you can’t find a protein bar that feels right for you, try making your own! It’s not as hard as you might think.
No-bake protein bars – You’ll need peanut butter, oats, honey, protein powder and dark chocolate chips. Mix the peanut butter and honey. Add in the oats and protein powder. Give everything a good stir. Transfer to a baking dish and spread evenly with a spatula. Melt the chocolate chips and pour over the peanut butter layer. Chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours, until the chocolate layer has hardened.